11 Realistic Ways You Can Help Reduce Global Warming
Action = Impact
- 1. Change to accredited Green Power option = Eliminate household emissions from electricity
- 2. Install energy-efficient hot water system = Up to 30% reductions in household emissions
- 3. Install solar panels = Eliminate household emissions from electricity
- 4. Use energy-efficient whitegoods = Up to 50% reduction in household emissions from electricity
- 5. Use triple-A rated shower-head = Up to 12% reduction in household emissions
- 6. Use energy-efficient light globes = Up to 10% reduction in household emissions
- 7. Check fuel efficiency of next car = Up to 70% reduction in transport emissions
- 8. Walk, cycle or take public transport = Can reduce transport emissions
- 9. Calculate carbon footprint = Can eliminate transport & household emissions
- 10. Suggest a workplace audit = Up to 30% reduction in emissions
- 11. Write to a politican about climate change = Can change the world
List of Green Power Suppliers
Contacts for Australian suppliers of earth-friendly power and information on solar technology.Green Power Suppliers
Glossary of TermsRead 'Expanded glossary' and links
Energy-efficient hot water system
A flow-through hot water system will both save you money and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Or a split system using solar hot water.
Energy-efficient light globes
Use less electricity than normal incandescent globes and still produce the same amount of light and last up to eight times longer. Reduces greenhouse gas emissions (up to half a tonne per globe).
Hybrid-fuel cars combine the best features of the internal combustion engine with an electric motor. At present there are four passenger car models available: Honda’s Accord Hybrid, Civic Hybrid, and Insight and the Toyota Prius.
Some electricity suppliers offer options to use renewable forms of power—solar, hydro, wind power—instead of coal-based means to supply your home and office.
Solar hot water
Can reduce carbon dioxide emissions in the home by as much as 20%, meet up to 60% or more of your hot water requirements (cutting your power bill by $200–$300 per year) and reduce around 3 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions annually.
Convert energy in the form of light from the sun into electrical energy. Between 4% and 22% of the light energy falling on a panel is converted to usable electrical energy. Not be confused with those used for solar water heating, which simply use the sun's energy to heat water directly. The working life of a solar panel should be in excess of 20 years.
Triple-A rated showerheads
An inefficient showerhead passes up to 22 litres of water a minute. A triple-A rated showerhead passes just 8 litres a minute.
Calculate your greenhouse house gas emissions at home, at the office, from your car and from regular air travel and offset these online. See expanded glossary for link.